PARTNERS for the Arts, Inc.
2021 8th National Opera Competition
Deadline for Application and video submission:
February 26, 2021 at 11:59 PM ET (Eastern Time)
Ages 25 to 35 as of April 11, 2021 as of April 11, 2021
We partner with Acceptd to host our applications.
Create an account by visiting our Acceptd landing page to learn more and to begin an application.
ClickHereEarly Submission of Applications is highly encouraged
$40 registration and handling fee paid to Acceptd.
Applicants can apply for a waiver to this application fee by submitting financial
documentation to Acceptd. Get more information from Acceptd Support Desk.
1st Prize – $8,000; 2nd Prize – $4,000; 3rd Prize – $2,000;
Audience Choice Award – $1,000; Judges Encouragement Award – $300
A panel of professional opera experts will judge the preliminaries,
semifinals and final rounds of the competition. The decision of the judges is final.
Singers selected to move to the Semifinals will be announced on PARTNERS website on
March 18, 2021.
Singers selected to move to the Finals will be announced on PARTNERS website on
March 29, 2021.
Finalists have until April 5 to send their video to PARTNERS Dropbox
Finals: April 11, 2021
Results will be announced on PARTNERS website on April 15, 2021.
- Applicants must be between the ages of 25 to 35 as of April 11, 2021 as of April 11, 2021
- Past 1st and 2nd prize PARTNERS’ Competition winners are not eligible to apply.
- Non-U.S. citizens must show proof of legal residency in the United States or proof of full-time enrollment in a university, college, or conservatory in the United States before being permitted to enter the competition. Federal and Virginia state laws require that tax be withheld on money won as prizes by non-U.S. citizens.
Submitted to Acceptd
Pay particular attention to providing details on your résumé about:
- Your education and degrees earned.
- Teachers, coaches, conductors with whom you have worked.
- Your performance experiences. Please include dates and place alongside each item.
- You apprentice programs attended, and awards received.
- Proof of age (passport or driver’s license)
- Videos made within one year of the submission date are acceptable.
- Each aria should be filmed/uploaded as a separate piece of media (no continuous videos) with no extra effects added (editing, lip-synching, etc.)
- Separate videos with three (3) contrasting arias representing two (2) historical periods in three (3) different languages (1-Italian — 2-French OR German — 3-English.
- Total time including all selections must be no more than 12 minutes.
- Your name, date of recording, aria and composer of each selection on your video must be mentioned.
- All singing should be accompanied by a Backing Track of your aria. You may use tracks made by your accompanist for you, purchased recorded accompaniment, or a live pianist. Tracks must be piano only.
- Please treat your video as if it were a LIVE competition.
- Test your recording before submission
- High-resolution videos are recommended
- Video recordings should be made in a well-lit space.
- Smartphone or laptop recordings are acceptable (horizontal orientation is best.)
- If possible, the use of an external microphone will ensure the highest audio quality.
- Place the camera in a way that your face and upper body are in the frame at all times.
You will be judged on your VOCAL QUALITY (Musicianship, Technique, Diction, Size of Voice, Appropriateness of Repertoire) AND ON COMMUNICATION OF TEXT/ROLE (understands this aria, the text, the character of the role, and placement of aria within the opera).
ONLY for Finalists: Choose one of your recorded videos to submit to PARTNERS’ Dropbox
Documents to be submitted to Acceptd
- Proof of age – passport or driver’s license
- Non-US citizens: proof of full-time enrollment in a university, college, or conservatory in the United States.
On the DISCOVER ME section posed by Acceptd applicants need only to have their contact information answered (email, full name, address, and phone number).