PARTNERS FOR THE ARTS, INC.
PARTNERS’ 5th Annual Opera Awards Competition
PARTNERS for the Arts will hold its 5th Annual Opera Awards Competition April 7 and 8, 2017, in search of opera’s rising stars. It will consist of a preliminary round and a final round. Both rounds of the competition will take place in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. The judges will come from prominent opera companies that are partnering with us.
As of 2017, all singers, whether or not under artist management, are invited to enter the Competition.
- Emerging Artist Applicants must be between the ages of 25 and 35 at the date of the competition–April 7, 2017.
- Promising Young Singers must be between the age of 21 and 24 at the date of the competition–April 7, 2017.
- Non-U.S. citizens must show proof of legal residency in the United States or proof of full-time enrollment in a university, college, or conservatory in the United States before being permitted to enter the competition. Federal and Virginia state laws require that tax be withheld on money won as prizes by non-U.S. citizens.
- Applicants must be able to attend the semifinal and the final rounds of the competition.
- Winners must be present to receive a competition prize on the day of the final round. Nonparticipation in the awards ceremony by a winner will constitute cancellation of the prize.
- Applicants selected for an award will be invited to perform at a future PARTNERS for the Arts, Inc. event and remunerated.
Both rounds will take place at The Lyceum, 201 S. Washington Street, Alexandria, VA 22314,
and are free and open to the public
Our prize awards were raised thanks to our members
and the generosity of our prize award donors.
Emerging Artist Awards – ages 25 to 35
First Prize: $7,000
donated by Victoria Tresansky and PARTNERS for the Arts;
Second Prize: $3,000
The Vincent P. Walter, Jr. Memorial Award
donated by Dr. Elaine Walter and PARTNERS for the Arts;
Third Prize: $1,500
The Holly Bianchi Memorial Award
donated by Cynthia Bianchi and PARTNERS for the Arts;
Honorable Mention: $1,000
The Sylvia Trefil Honorable Mention Award
donated by Dr. James Trefil;
Encouragement Awards to each of the other finalists: $300
donated by Drs. James and Wanda Trefil;
Promising Young Artist Awards – ages 21 to 24
First Prize: $1,500
Second Prize: $1,000
The Misbin Family Memorial Award
donated by Dr. Robert Misbin